Scientific and technological literacy (STL) is really demanded in order to promote a world community of scientifically and technologically literate citizens. STL means much more than simply being able to read, understand and write about science and technology. However, STL includes the ability to apply scientific and technological concepts and process skills to the life, work and culture of one's own society. It therefore includes attitudes and values enabling one to distinguish between worthwhile or inappropriate uses of science or technology.
STL empowerscitizens in a rapidly changing world where science driven technology is playing a greater and greater role. Scientifically and technologically literate citizens are believed to be able to make more informed decisions regarding scientific and technological issues, which become a key factor for enhancing the overall quality of life and the sustainable development of the nation.
Teachers, academic personnel, and educational researchers whose roles are in the development of effective teaching and learning processes should prepare students to bescientifically and technologically literate citizens. Innovative teaching and learning are therefore demands to help achieve this goal. Up to this, professional learning community (PLC) is proposed as one approach to help promote lifelong learning and sustainable development of teaching profession. PLCs can offer an effective, collaborative learning-focused process that can foster improvement in teaching and learning by providing a powerful infrastructure where teachers can engage in constructive dialogue, reflect on and improve instruction, and share ways to increase effectiveness in the classroom to positively impact student learning.
To respond to the mentioned issues as a leading institute of innovation, the Institute for Innovative Learning,MahidolUniversiy, Thailand, will conduct “The 3rd International Conference on Innovation in Education (ICIE 2017): Building Professional Learning Community in Improving Science and Technology Education” during 24th-25th November 2017.
The 2017 ICIE focuses on Science, Mathematics, and Technology educational innovations taking place in schools, colleges, and universities. The conference welcomes research presenting novel experimental studies, conceptual analyses, theoretical insights, modeling, and simulation and gaming for effective teaching and learning.
The 2017 ICIE interests include, but are not limited to, the following sub-themes:
• Innovations in Science, Mathematics and Technology Education—curriculum, assessment, teaching and learning, instructional materials, professional development, etc. to promote students’ scientific and technological literacy,
Innovations in Science Education—curriculum, assessment, teaching and learning, professional development, and instructional materials regarding science
Innovations in Technology Education—curriculum, assessment, teaching and learning, professional development, and instructional materials regarding science technology including Technology-Enhanced Learning —initiatives and practices by teachers, academic faculty, and educational researchers to use technology to promote and empower student learning,
Innovations in Mathematics Education—curriculum, assessment, teaching and learning, professional development, and instructional materials regarding mathematics,
Science and technology workforce preparation—preparation workforce for science and technology such as industrial education, engineering education and vocational education
Teacher professional development—policy, ideas, visions, curriculum, program, workshop, assessment regarding science, mathematics, and technology teachers.
• Professional Learning Community (PLC) in Education—initiatives and practices by teachers, academic faculty, and educational researchers to promote PLCs in different settings.
• Classroom evidence-based practices—pschool and classroom research and evidence-based effective teaching and learning practices in science, mathematics, and technology classrooms.
• Other Educational Improvement Initiatives—science communication and science awareness including other initiatives in science, mathematics, and technology.
The 2017 ICIE includes keynote speakers and discussions among experts on Science, Mathematics, and Technology educational innovation. The participants can present their research by an oral presentation, a poster presentation, virtual presentation and/or a workshop.All full papers accepted for presentation (Oral, Poster and Virtual) in the conference will be published in the 2017 ICIE Proceedings (Vol. 3) with ISSN. An author whose his or her paper is accepted will also has a choice to submit the paper to be included in a review process for publishing in an international journal indexed in Scopus.
• To encourage academic staff’s and graduate students’ educational innovativeness in both Thai and international contexts concerning Science, Mathematics, and Technology education for sustainable development.
• To develop and promote the collaboration on educational innovation among Thai and international universities.
• To provide an opportunity for academic staff and graduate students to share and discuss their Science, Mathematics, and Technology educational innovations which may lead to collaboration on further research.